About the Walk Routes App
Walk Routes is a smartphone application that records your route and maps your travel within the study area. Data gathered will be used to identify preferred pedestrian walking routes and help inform recommendations for increasing pedestrian safety within the study area.
App Use and Directions
User information is anonymous and route data is only collected within the study area. The application will stop retrieving data by December 2019.
To record your route with Walk Routes
- Open the application and click “Start” at the bottom of the screen.
- Press the WalkRoute image under the screen heading for Data Capture Projects.
- To begin recording your route, click the red Start button. The red button will flash while your route is being captured.
- To end a route, click the Start button again.
Because Walk Routes uses your phone’s GPS, it does use battery power. Please plan accordingly when using the application.
When you first open the application, make sure you allow it to use your location while it is on.
- Once you’ve opened the application and it has loaded, click ‘Start’
- You will be brought to a screen titled Data Capture Projects, click on the WalkRoute option.
- When you are ready to begin your route, click the red ‘Start’ button.
- The button will flash signifying the application is recording your route. When you finish your route, click the ‘Start’ button again to stop recording and the button will stop flashing.
Does the application continue recording while I use other apps?
Walk Routes will continue recording if it is running in the background. You will be able to tell that your phone is using GPS data if there is either a blue bar at the top of your phone or there is a triangle icon. If you close out of the application, it will stop recording.
How will I know if the application is recording my route?
Once you’ve navigated to the Walk Route tracking page (see instructions above), you will click the red ‘Start’ button. The button will flash while your route is being recorded. Once you finish the route and click the button again, it will stop flashing and the route will be saved.
What information is sent with my route?
We do not track or receive any personal information connected to your routes. The only routes that are collected are those within the study area. If you try to record your route outside of the study area, it will not be collected.